A Checklist for Moving House in and around Staffordshire
Careful planning is key to helping ensure that your move is as stress free as possible.
Our handy guide will walk you through a checklist of the many things that you may need to consider prior to, during and after your all important moving day?
One to two months prior to your move
Confirm in writing the completion date for moving to your new home.
Have a good look around your home and decide which items you no longer need and decide whether to sell them, donate to a local charity or take them to your local tip for recycling.
Provide notice to your utility companies about your impending move and provide them with your new address if you still require them. Examples include:
- Internet services
- TV Licencing
If you are renting, check the notice period that your landlord requires and send a written confirmation regarding the date you will be vacating your existing home.
One Month before your move
- Cancel any club memberships that you will no longer use i.e. Gyms, local clubs etc.
- Inform family and friends about your move date.
- Arrange for the disconnection of any appliances that you will be taking with you. (Gas/Electric Cookers, Washing machines, gas fires, plumbed in fridges etc.)
- Arrange for someone to look after the kids and any pets on moving day.
- Start using stored food from your fridge, freezer and food cupboard.
- If required, make a list of information and items you will need to pass on to whoever is moving into your existing home (Security codes, current utility company details, useful numbers for local services should they be required, keys and access details, location of the water mains valve and main electric and gas meters etc)
- Decide if you require to store any of your household items on a short or long term basis.
- Decide if you need help packing either part or all of your household effects.
- Before you contact a removal company find out if there are any parking and access restrictions either at your present property or at your new home.
- Contact North Staffordshire Removals to obtain a quote for your removal, specifying your planned moving date.
Two weeks before your move
- Notify the Post Office of your change of address and apply for your post to be redirected to your new address. (This can be done online
- Deregister from your doctor and dentists and be sure to enquire about a new health practice
- If you have any local deliveries (Milk, Newspapers etc) Inform them about your move.
- Start your packing – If you decide that its all too much for you contact us for help and advice.
- If your removal company is packing for you – start grouping your items into what will be their final destination rooms.One week before your move
- Confirm arrival times and final arrangements with your removal company.
- Start dismantling any flat pack furniture
- Contact a locksmith to arrange new locks to be fitted on your new property
Three days before your move
- Complete any last minute laundry.
- Label spare keys clearly and leave in a secure place.
- Keep any items that are not to be moved by the removal company to one side.
Prepare and pack a box of items that you will need within the first few days at your new property. ( ie tools, essential cutlery, crockery, first aid kit, toiletries, drinks & snacks,)
Two days before your move
- Set aside important documents and be sure to keep them in a safe place.
- Confirm the collection time and date for receiving the keys to your new property with your estate agent or landlord.
- Ensure all disconnections to any appliances have been completed (Unplug & Defrost your fridge and freezer)
- Complete a pre moving day check of cupboards, sheds, garage, and the loft to ensure nothing is left behind
One day before your move
- Pack any last minute items.
- Walk your removal team around your property and identify the items that are to be left in the property
- Make sure you are around whilst your property is being loaded into the removal vehicle
- Complete a final clean of the house
- Make a note of final meter readings (Gas, Electric & Water)
- Ensure all windows and doors are locked and keys are accessible for the new owners
- Leave any information that may be useful for the new occupier
- Complete a walk around of the property with the removal team to ensure everything has been loaded into the removal vehicle.(including the shed, garage, and garden)
Once you have arrived in your new home
- Show your removal team where you would like boxes and furniture to go.
- Make sure electric, water, and gas is working correctly.
- When the removal team have finished – Check the inside of the van to make sure all of your belongings have been removed
- Unpack the essentials and leave the rest for another day.
- Arrange for your services to be connected up by your phone, TV and broadband providers.